Christine I. Ofulue is an Associate Professor of Linguistics and Director, Directorate of Research Administration and Advancement at the National Open University of Nigeria. She is a Fulbright Alumna of the US Fulbright Visiting Scholar Programme (2013-2014), and a Visiting Research Associate at the University of South Carolina, Columbia U.S.A. She holds a PhD in Linguistics from Indiana University, Bloomingto an U.S.A (1992), and a Postgraduate Diploma in Open and Distance Learning from the Indira Gandhi Open University, India (2008). She joined the National Open University of Nigeria in 2005, and has served in various capacities within the institution including as Acting Dean of the then School of Arts and Social Sciences and as foundation Head of the University’s Quality Assurance Unit. She has coordinated and facilitated several capacity building initiatives on different aspects of open and distance learning including elearning.
Her research interests are sociolinguistics and contact languages with focus on the study of language use in multilingual contexts and in technologically mediated contexts, in particular, Nigerian Pidgin and other minoritised language varieties, exploring language ideology and identity construction as social practice. Her other research interests are flexible learning and quality assurance in the delivery of higher education through flexible learning systems. She currently serves as an editor/reviewer for a number of international journals and is a member of various professional bodies.
- Faculty, course coordination and project supervision
- Director, Research Administration and Advancement
- Contact languages- Pidgin and creole languages
- Language endangerment
- Indigenous languages in technological space
- Quality assurance in open and distance learning systems in Higher education
- Ofulue, C. I. (2004). “Developing Effective Speaking Skills”. In Adegbija, E.E. (Ed.) Language, Communication and Study Skills: A Resource book for the Use of English course in Colleges and Universities. Ota: Covenant University Press pp.171-222.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2004). “Strategies for Effective Reading”. In Adegbija, E.E. (Ed.) Language, Communication and Study Skills: A Resource book for the Use of English course in Colleges and Universities. Ota, Ogun State: Covenant University Press pp.223-258.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2004). “Creolisation in Nigerian Pidgin: a Sociocultural Perspective”. In Awonusi, S. and Babalola, E.A (Eds.) The Domestication of English in Nigeria: A Festschrift in Honour of Professor Abiodun Adetugbo. Lagos: University of Lagos Press pp.265-279.
- Ofulue, C.I. (2004). “Acts of Identity: The Role of Language in actualizing Globalization”. In Oni, D., Gupta, S., Omoniyi, T., Adegbija, E., and Awonusi, A. (Eds.) Nigeria and Globalization: Discourses on Identity Politics and Social Conflict. Lagos: Centre for Black and African Arts and Civilization (CBAAC) pp.121-136. Also available at http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/gipsc/nigeria03/ofulue.html
- Ofulue, C. I. (2009). “A Digital Forensic Analysis of Advance Fee Fraud (419) scams”. In Taiwo, R. (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Discourse Behaviour and Digital Communication: Language Structures and Social Interaction. Pennsylvania: IGI Publishers pp.296 – 317.Also available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290691603_A_digital_forensic_analysis_of_advance_fee_fraud_419_scams
- Ofulue, C. I. (2009). “Citing References”. In Tseja, S.G. (Ed.) Training Manual for Course Material Development in Open and Distance Learning. Nigeria: National Open University of Nigeria pp.69–79.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2009). “Writing a Course Guide”. In Tseja, S.G. (Ed.). Training Manual for Course Material Development in Open and Distance Learning. Nigeria: National Open University of Nigeria pp.80 – 96.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2010). “Language Engineering: a Linguistic Study of Digital Terminology in Yoruba”. In Ndimele O. (Ed.) Language Policy, Planning & Management: The Nigerian Linguists Festschrift Series. Port Harcourt: Linguistic Association of Nigeria No. 8: 239-254.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2010). “Capacity Building in Distance Education through Staff Development: a case of the National Open University of Nigeria”. In Ifeanyi, P. and Olakulehin, K. (Eds.) Global Perspectives in Open and Distance Learning: Essays in Honour of Professor Olugbemiro Jegede Lagos: National Open University of Nigeria pp.152-165.
- Ofulue, C. I. and Esizimetor, D.O. (2010). Guide to Standard Naijá Orthography: An NLA Harmonized Writing System for Common Naijá Publications. Ibadan: French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA) University of Ibadan. Available** at ifra-nigeria.org.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2015). “Bilingualism and Language Maintenance in Small Language Communities: The Case of Gungbe”. In Orie, O.O, Ilọri, J.F., and Yuka, L.C. (eds.) Current Research in African Linguistics: Papers in Honour of Ọladele Awobuluyi. United Kingdom: Cambridge Scholars Publishing (CSP) pp.51-72.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2008). “Educational versus Functional Literacy: A Study of Attitudes of Mobile Phone Users to the Acquisition of Basic ICT Skills”. In Adegbite, W and Olajide, B (Eds.) English and the Challenges of Literacy in the 21st Century: Proceedings of 22nd Annual Conference of the Nigerian English Studies Association (NESA). Ile-Ife: Nigerian English Studies Association pp.64-73.
- Ofulue, Y. (1998). “Translating Exclamations” The Bible Translator (Practical Papers) Vol. 49 No. 4: 201- 207. Also available at http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/026009439804900201
- Ofulue, I. (2007). “The Oral Communication Component of EAP: Theory or Practice?” English Language Teaching Today (ELTT), Vol. 6 No. 2: 11 -25.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2008). “Interconnectivity in ‘Other Tongues’: A Sociolinguistic Study of SMS Text Messages in Yoruba”. Issues in Intercultural Communication, Vol. 1 No. 2: 189-200. Also available at https://www.academia.edu/4329216/IIC_Ofulue_for_NOVA_12pp
- Ofulue, C. I. (2009). “Teaching and Learning Nigerian Languages in the 21st Century: Prospects, Problems and Strategies”. Issues in Intercultural Communication, Vol. 2 No. 1: 101-114.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2009). “Translation and Language Maintenance (or is it Preservation?) in Nigerian Languages”. Journal of the Linguistic Association of Nigeria (JOLAN), Vol. 12 No. 1: 119 – 136.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2010). “Kinship Address Terms in Nigerian English: Some Socio-cultural Dilemmas”. Journal of the Nigerian English Studies Association (JNESA), Vol. 14 No. 1: 132-150. Also available at http://englishscholars.org.ng/content/v14/1/ofulue.pdf
- Akeusola, O. and Ofulue, C. I. (2011). “An Appraisal of Quality Assurance Issues in promoting Programmes in Higher Education: Case Study of the National Open University of Nigeria”. Journal of Language and Literature, Vol. 2 No. 1: 12-18.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2011). ‘Survey of Barriers affecting the use of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) among Distance Learners: A Case Study of Nigeria’. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education (TOJDE), Vol. 12 No. 3: 142-154. Available at https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ965065
- Ofulue, C. I. (2011). “A Descriptive Analysis of Remedial Students’ Writing Errors: Implications for Teaching English in an ESL context”. Abraka Humanities Review, Vol. 4 No. 1: 84-97.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2011). “Literacy at a Distance in Multilingual contexts: Issues and Challenges”. West African Journal of Open and Flexible Learning (WAJOFEL). Vol. 1 No.1: 11-26. Also available at http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/981/1957
- Ofulue, C. I. (2012). “Nigerian Pidgin and West African Pidgins: A Sociolinguistic Perspective”. Legon Journal of the Humanities (Special edition) 1- 42. Also available at https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ljh/article/view/90389.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2013). “Language Maintenance and Local Language Needs of the Labour Market in Nigeria”, Research in African Languages and Linguistics (RALL), Vol. 12: 1-15.
- Ofulue, C. I. (2015). “Localisation of Mobile Phone Technological Terms: A Case Study of Yorùbá Language”. Ihafa: A Journal of African Studies Vol. 7 No. 1: 58-85. Also available at http://ihafa.unilag.edu.ng/article/view/264
- Inegbedion, J.O., Adu, F. I., and Ofulue, C. (2016). “Student Assessment of Quality of Access at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)”. Open Praxis Vol. 8 Issue 4:313-323. Available at https://www.openpraxis.org/index.php/OpenPraxis/article/view/313/266
- “Mobile Telephony for Development in Nigeria: Designing Mobile Technology Enabled Application in Local Languages”, Paper presented at the UNESCO Mobile Learning Week, Paris France, February 2013.
- Bilingualism and Language Maintenance in small language communities: the case of Oko and Gungbe, Paper presented at the International Congress of Linguists (ICL) Geneva, Switzerland, July 2013.
- Negotiating Africanness: Language Practices and Contemporary Identities in Nigerian Pidgin and Gullah/Geechee creole contexts, Paper presented at a Seminar series, University of South Carolina, January 2014 and Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, February 2014.
- “Evaluating Course Effectiveness: A critical analysis of distance learning modules”, Paper presented at the 26th International Council for Distance Education, South Africa, October 2015.
- Visiting Research Associate, University of South Carolina, Columbia USA (2014 – present).
- Co-researcher, ‘NaijaSynCor: Corpus for a Macro-Syntactic study of Naija (Nigerian Pidgin)’
- Funded by Grant award (2017 – 2020) from Agence Nationale de la Researche.
- Regional Associate editor, Commonwealth of Learning Journal of Learning for Development (JL4D).
- Reviewer, Journal of International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL).